Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tolumnia

TOLUMNIA





Toumnia, a genus in the Orchidacae family, commonly known as Equitant or miniature oncidium has always been a group of orchids that I am passionately interested in. I first collected about 200 plants from Kok Tai in Sungai Petani amd subsequently from growers like Mr. Ong in Juru, Butterworth and lately from Genting Orchids. Growing Tolumnia has always been a challenge for me as many died before it could be established. One hobbyist, Ah Wai, an expert in the growing of Tolumnia, was champion for many years and it is a wonder how the plants can grow so healthy with blooms that consists of 30-50 flowers.


I started seed propagation many years back and with the help of Mr. Low Kok Keong, a fellow Vice President of Perak Orchid Society, I managed to propagate thousands of seedlings, the most notable of which I named after my wife, Lee Wai Qeen.


For stud I use Tolu Maggie Khoo #5, Tolu Golden Sunset, Tolu Ralf Yogi and many hybrids from Genting Orchids.


Growing Tolumnia is easy and the trick is not to overwater the plant. It grows well tied to a piece of wood or better still a piece of fern root. Tolumnia planted in pots will grow well if the watering is controlled and grown under a plastic cover. It prefers organic fertilizers rather than chemical fertilizers and a systemic fungicide is used once a week.



















Tolu Ralg Yogi





















Tolu Golden Sunset









No comments: